CNN
—
An Israeli man who spent 491 days as a Hamas hostage shared his harrowing experience of starvation during captivity and the tragic moment of his release from Gaza, when he discovered that his wife and daughters had perished in the attacks on October 7, 2023.
Eli Sharabi was released earlier this month alongside Ohad Ben Ami and Or Levy, following the ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas that included the release of hostages.
The 52-year-old Sharabi revealed that he was not informed by his captors about the deaths of his wife Lianne and daughters Noiya and Yahel during the 2023 strikes; instead, he learned the heartbreaking news only upon his release.
In an emotional interview aired on Israeli Channel 12’s “Uvda” program and conducted by journalist Ilana Dayan, Sharabi recounted being taken by the Red Cross to an Israel Defense Forces location where psychologists and a family friend awaited him. “I asked, ‘Where are my wife and the girls?’” he recalled. “She responded, ‘Osnat (his sister) and Mom are here for you.’”
Struggling to hold back tears, Sharabi said, “It was clear that there was no need to explain. Because at that moment, she had already conveyed the truth. It was evident that the worst had happened.”
“I truly hope they did not suffer in their final moments; that it was swift and painless. I pray they are in a better place,” he added, his voice trembling with emotion.
Sharabi also highlighted the situation of the remaining hostages, including his close friend Alon Ohel, with whom he shared a tunnel and forged an “unbreakable bond.”
According to Sharabi, hostages were provided only one meal a day, typically either a bowl of pasta or half a pita, totaling a mere 250-300 calories. “We would slice the pita into four pieces and nibble on one slice for ten minutes, pretending it was sufficient,” he said, reminiscing about his mother’s cooking. “You visualize opening a refrigerator… grabbing an egg, a vegetable, water. That’s what freedom feels like.”
A spokesperson for Hamas, Hazem Qassem, told CNN on Friday that the organization refutes Sharabi’s claims.
“We managed the treatment of prisoners according to international regulations,” Qassem asserted, saying that Hamas had “ensured they received food during a time of famine in the region.”
The interview on Channel 12 concluded with a heartfelt message from Sharabi: “People need to realize – every hostage is someone’s child, parent, or sibling. Don’t forget them.”
The ceasefire agreement has resulted in the release of 38 hostages by Hamas, with five released separately from the deal, along with thousands of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.
As the first phase of the truce approaches its conclusion this weekend, negotiators are still working to determine the path forward.
